Tuesday, November 21, 2006

I joined a club.

I ride the bus a lot. (I took 7 buses last Friday.) Apparently there's a secret club for disabled and injured people, and the bus is our meeting place. I don't think I've had a bus ride this month without someone telling me about their owies. My cast and cane make the people in my new club think I want to chat with them, even though I am clearly trying to read a textbook. One of today's club members fell down the stairs when he was drunk and broke his neck a few years ago. He had to wear one of those weird halo things they screw into their skull. He talked to me about that for twenty minutes, and then pulled off his hat to show me all the screw holes in his head. Pardon my garden. That was gross.

There's a guy I see around town now and then who has a fake leg. He always looks drunk and a little scary, and I've seen him pick up cigarette butts from the curb and smoke them. He's dapper. Anyway, he has never acknowledged my existence before. Today when I hobbled by him, he gave me a huge smile and said hi to me as though we're best friends. He's in my club too.

There was a young guy on the bus with a broken foot the other day. When I got on, I sat across from him in the gimp section. I asked him if he wanted to be in my club. He didn't say anything, but the old lady who was sitting near us thought I was damned funny. I thought so too.

6 comments:

Dainon said...

Doesn't everybody think you're damn funny? I read your entries aloud to whoever will listen sometimes. If they don't laugh, I read them again, emphasizing the funny parts until they guffaw. It's a ritual.

Kipluck aka: BethAnn, Bob, Mayberry said...

I am in that club, the Old Ladies at Physical Therapy Pool Chapter. They tell me things I really REALLY don't want to know. WHY? Because I am there, and in pain and therefore MUST want to here about it!

Shannon said...

I hope you make President of your club.

granolagirl said...

I know I just laughed out loud.

Krispy said...

Sometimes I sit on the bus and try to come up with ways I'm different from everyone else there. The only thing I can come up with is that I have a little more fashion sense.

chartie said...

I want to break my leg or something so I can be in the club, too. Sounds like all sorts of fun!