Friday, June 01, 2007

This is not cheerful.

A twelve-year-old boy was riding his bike in my neighborhood today, and he was run over by a bus at the corner where Max and Corina cross to catch their school bus. There are spray paint outlines on the road of the bike and other things...I'm not sure what. The boy was crossing in the intersection just like he's supposed to. They flew him to Calgary hospital, so I suppose he must be in pretty rough shape. I might even know the boy. He probably goes to the middle school where I did my practicum, since that's where kids in my neighborhood go to school. No names have been released yet. I always worry about my kids crossing that street. Cars come speeding around there like mad all the time. My worst nightmare is something like that happening to my kids, and now it has happened to someones kid right outside my door. It makes me so sad.

I'll post something nicer tomorrow maybe.

6 comments:

Shannon said...

That's terrible. I hope the boy is ok.

Laurie said...

That's seriously one of my worst nightmares. I don't want that to happen to my children, nor do I want to be the person who accidentally hits a child. I feel sick just thinking about it.

Mike said...

Sometimes it takes an accident like that before a city counsel will approve a stop light. Sad, but true - at least in the U.S. I bet if you and the other parents made a big enough stink about it, they'd put a light up.

bestsariah said...

No, we'd never get a light there. It's a tiny little street. They might put in a stop sign instead of a yield sign though.

I found out who the boy was. I totally know him. I also know the little girl who witnessed the accident. They say the bus ran over the very tops of his legs. His brother says the doctors told them he won't be able to walk again. I found out some yucky details about the accident, but I won't post them. I almost threw up over the whole thing. So sad.

Sherpa said...

That's horrible. I hope the kid heals okay.

In Vernal, a light isn't put up until there's a bad accident at the intersection. Survival of the fittest, I guess.

Shauna said...

Oh... that's awful.

Poor, poor kid.

How scary, too...