Thursday, July 26, 2007

Any old assface can be a mother.


I just want to sleep in the tent with my children without having to hear a woman being cruel to her daughter. It's really not that much to ask! Both nights that we slept in the tent, we were woken up a little after 7 by my nasty neighbor shrieking at her poor daughter for half an hour. Every request she makes of her comes out in a terrifyingly angry shriek, including the very first communication of the day.
"THE ALARM WENT OFF! IT IS TIME TO GET OUT OF BED! GET OUT OF BED RIGHT NOW! NOW GET THE COMB AND GET IN HERE TO COMB YOUR HAIR BEFORE I COUNT TO THREE! NOW GO GET YOUR CLOTHES! NOW NOW NOW! FASTER FASTER FASTER! DO IT BEFORE I COME IN THERE AND SMACK YOUR FACE!"
Normally I hear this through the walls, but it's sure different being outside and hearing it through the open window. My heart breaks for this poor little girl, who is actually very quiet and well-behaved, by the way. I did actually talk to her mom about the yelling a few weeks ago, and she stopped for a bit. It's back on with a vengeance now though. Seriously, is it so hard to go in and give your daughter a kiss on the forehead, maybe crawl into bed beside her, tell her you love her, and then get up together? Wouldn't that make for a nicer day for everyone? How do people wake up so angry? It's bothering me a lot. I'm sharing my feelings.

10 comments:

Sherpa said...

thanks for sharing. Seriously, that poor kid. Parents are supposed to be safe havens from a mean world-----

granolagirl said...

Maybe she's on drugs. My drugs make me a crappy human.

Shannon said...

That sounds a lot like how we used to wake up. I still see it now with my little brother who is 8. There is nothing more heartbreaking than seeing a child start off their day in tears. Seriously, that's no way to send a child to school, and it's no way to live a life. Period.

Holly said...

Maybe her mom yelled. It's not an excuse for her behavior, but maybe she doesn't know a better way.

Jason Randall said...

you have a slew of wonderful neighbors. maybe it's time to move.

bestsariah said...

I've thought about moving, but schizophrenia and mean mothers can be in every neighborhood. Moving away won't really solve anything.

Daisy Paige said...

Are you friends with the woman at all? If you are comfortable enough to broach the subject again, maybe you could offer her some advice on how you deal with your kiddos and get them to "get up and at 'em" in the mornings.

I don't know. That sucks your family wakens to such misery every morning, but it especially sucks for the little girl next door. Poor kid probably can't do anything right.

bestsariah said...

When I talked to her about it before, she said screaming was the only thing that she knew to do. I invited her over to talk about it and said we could look through some of the things I've gotten from school about how to teach/help kids. So far she hasn't taken me up on the offer. So...yeah. I don't know!

Shannon said...

You should wake up about 20 minutes before she does. Go bang on her door. Hard. When she answers, start screaming your face off at her. After ten minutes, ask her how she feels. Then wish her a good day and leave.

Krispy said...

Wow. She sounds like a mom I had.