Saturday, September 29, 2007

School...practicum...new stuff for me...

School tries really hard to kick my butt some days. I've spent most of today trying to teach myself about laws of perceptual organization, dual coding theory, and all the details of the multi-store information processing system. And other stuff too. I can't even remember it all.

If you wondered, my practicum is awesome. I'll be spending the majority of my time teaching English as a Second Language (ESL) to two little kids from Africa. The little girl just barely got here from a refugee camp, and she only knows a few words of English. You've never seen a child more grateful than this one. I handed her a book we're going to use to help her learn English. I said, "Book", pointed to it, and gave it to her. She clutched it to her chest and said, "Book? Me?!?" She is so eager to learn, and so grateful for every little thing she gets and every little bit of attention from a teacher. She could teach the Canadian kids a few things.

Want to know what I'm grateful for? My pretty new coat! I'm a fancy lady.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the coat, where did you get it? Are you slowly moving all the black out of your wardrobe and replacing it with red?

vicky said...

I'm not anonymous, I'm vicky.

bestsariah said...

I would never replace my black! I'm just expanding a little is all.

Laurie said...

You are so cool!

Kipluck said...

Awww! I think all (US, Canadian, basically any non-poor/refugee) kids (even pretty good ones like yours) need to take some gratitude lessons from kids like that. That's AWESOME.

Anonymous said...

I can't believe I had to find out about your new coat on your blog. Like I'm one of your 'common' friends or something. Sheesh!

Sara said...

Yeah, but do you like it?

Sherpa said...

Red is the new black!!!