Friday, January 18, 2008

I'll uncool that kid. I'll uncool him like a fox!

On Tuesday I start my 4th (and final!) practicum. This time I'm working at Max and Corina's school. I think that's awesome, and so does Corina.

Here's a story. In Sept 2006 on the first day of school, I spent a couple of hours with the kids, getting them all set in their classes. I mostly stayed with Corina, since she was just staring kindergarten. Max was starting grade 4. I left at recess, and as I was walking down the street, I heard a voice scream from the playground, "BYE MAMA!!!" It was my Max, in front of all his friends, calling out to his Mama. It made me so happy that he wasn't too cool to love me when other kids are around.

So, when I found out that not only was I going to be at Max's school, but that I was going to be only two doors down from his classroom, I asked him what he thought about that. Things have sure changed since grade 4. He said it's not cool to have his mom there, and he doesn't want me to hug or kiss him while I'm there.

I figured we should set some ground rules, so I asked him if it was okay for me to say, "Hi, Max!"

No. I can only say, "Hey, Max", not "Hi". Hi isn't cool.

I asked if I could wave at him, and I waved when I asked.

No. I can't wave like that. I have to wave cooler. He then showed me the acceptable way to wave at him.

I then asked him if it's okay if I rip off all my clothes and run naked down the hall, pointing at my vagina while screaming that MAX CAME OUT OF HERE!!

I bet it's hard having me for a mom sometimes.

8 comments:

Kipluck said...

But he didn't say definitively NO to the vagina comment, did he?

Sherpa said...

Poor you. I hope you terrorize him a little bit.

Lesley said...

Awww, kids are so cute sometimes. Remember when we were that little and our moms were about four hundred years older than we are now and they were so uncool telling us to share and be nice to other people? Or something like that...I think I blacked out the fact that I actually had a mom when I was in grade six...

Good luck, and I agree, you have to terrorize him just a little while you're there. Maybe on the last day or something...and then have a really cool party for all his buddies where you serve them cool food and drinks.

Shannon said...

Poor Max. I'm nervous for him already.

granolagirl said...

Posts like this are the reason I love your blog and I love you.

Sara said...

Thanks!

Daisy Paige said...

Any way for you describe the properly cool way to wave to someone?

Sara said...

Less of a wave. More just a casual, lazy flip of the hand in the general direction of someone I may or may not know.