Tuesday, July 01, 2008

I Feel for Twyla

Ever had a collections agency after you? I haven't, but Twyla has. And apparently Twyla either used to have my phone number over 5 years ago, or she used a fake number and it happened to be mine.

For a few months now, when we get home at the end of the day there's always at least one call from British Columbia on the call display. Now that I'm on summer holidays, today I was home to answer when they called. Yay!

At first the guy didn't say anything, and then when I was about to hang up, he asked who I was. I asked him who he was. And then...he started screaming at me! I don't mean using an angry-sounding voice. I mean screaming in a booming, terrifying voice. The kids even heard him from the other room and came running in to see what was going on.

Awesome guy demanded I put Twyla on. I was all "Oh, I can help him! He has the wrong number! We'll get this sorted out lickety split!" I told him I've had this number for 5 years and there's no Twyla here. Aww...I helped him so he could get his job done. I'm nice.

"PUT TWYLA ON THE F'ING PHONE RIGHT NOW! DO IT RIGHT NOW! I KNOW SHE'S THERE! I'VE ALREADY SPOKEN TO HER AT THIS NUMBER! F WORD! F WORD! F WORD!"

So, I hung up. And then he called back and started screaming at me like that again. I told him I was going to call the police, and I hung up. I did call the police, and we're filing a formal complaint. I also filed a complaint with the CRTC and the Business Practices and Consumer Protection Authority of BC. I'm a really good formal complainer when I need to be.

I feel so bad for people who are actually being chased by collections agencies. I've heard horror stories about it, but honestly I always thought those were exaggerations. They're not, dudes. I actually started crying when I hung up the second time because the way he was screaming at me was so scary, and I'm not really that big on crying. I hope this gets taken care of quickly, because I can't deal with that all summer long. It was horrible.

8 comments:

Jesse Harris said...

As I was reading this, I knew there had to be some Canadian equivalent of the Fair Debt Collections Act that would pretty much nail this dude to the wall. And I must say, I haven't heard of *anything* this nasty, not even on Consumerist.

Sara said...

I'm so lucky to have gotten the nastiest guy for my first try! Sheesh. I still feel like crap about it. Not fair that something that has nothing to do with me could still give me a bad day.

Bethany said...

Wow.... um... was that call being recorded for quality purposes? Because that is QUAL-I-TY.

I'm sorry.

CWE said...

Yeah, collections people are bastards. That guy probably makes a lot of money too, because I think they get bonuses for being extra bastard-y.

A few weeks ago my parents got a call from a collections agency looking for me. My mom said she'd give me their number but wasn't about to give them mine. So I called them back and they're looking for my ex-husband. The lady tells me that he wrote some bad checks on a joint checking account and now I'm liable for the money. So I said, "What account was it?"... "Ma'am, I can't give you that information... you could be ANYONE." "Okay then, what BANK was it at?" "Bank of blah blah blah".

Interestingly enough, I've never had an account there. Which I explained to the lady. To which, she replied, "Can you PROVE that?" Now just how in the HELL would you prove that you HAVEN'T had an account somewhere? Like I have documents sitting around for all of the banks that I've never banked with testifying of the fact that I've never banked there? Riiiiiight.

Sara said...

Sounds like the one who called your mom was somewhat reasonable. If I had tried that with the guy who called me, he would have threated to set me on fire through the phone. Good luck proving you didn't have an account at that bank. That's bizarre.

On a happier note, I bought a present for your belly today!

Sara said...

Sounds like the one who called your mom was somewhat reasonable. If I had tried that with the guy who called me, he would have threated to set me on fire through the phone. Good luck proving you didn't have an account at that bank. That's bizarre.

On a happier note, I bought a present for your belly today!

Shauna said...

Yeah, I was trying to be reasonable with the lady, but the bottom line is that they will do whatever they have to do to get the money. I'm not anticipating that I'll actually have to produce anything to this agency. I think they were banking on the fact that I'd be so afraid of what COULD happen if I didn't cooperate that I'd just send them some money.

I think they just did some digging and saw that the idiot had an ex-wife and thought that maybe they could get the money out of me. I'm positive that there is no legal way that I could possibly be connected to it. Besides the fact that I've never banked at that bank, the ex and I never even had a joint account because no bank in their right mind would let him have an account.

The lady told me that I had to work all this stuff out with my ex. I told her that I had no idea where he was and then she said I had "better find him then". Whatever. Their scare tactics don't work on me. I told her I hadn't talked to the a-hole since he moved out, I have NO WAY of contacting him, and for all I know he could be dead. And then I told her I'd take my chances with the courts.

Shauna said...

Oh... and YAY! My belly loves presents.