Friday, July 18, 2008

Some things about our trip so far.

Maybe I should be ashamed to admit this. The theme to our vacation so far has been American Fast Food. Pretty much every day, and sometimes 3 times a day, we eat at a fast food place we don't have at home.

So far we still love Cafe Rio the best. We've eaten there 3 times already, and we're thinking today may be #4. We've perfected our order, which is now a pork burrito with black beans, no sauce. It's enough to feed all three of us. Financially responsible!

Cold Stone was pretty awesome, but we had no idea what was going on when the girl started squishing our ice cream on the counter. We just kind of.....stared. Now we're trying to decide if we like Cold Stone or Maggie Moo's better. (Better Batter Cake Carnival? Holy crap.) We've only been to each place twice, so perhaps it's too early to decide.

Sonic is adorable. It's like A&W from when I was little. We could go there every day for a lime slush and a cherry limeade. Last night Corina had a Pogo there, which you Americans call a corn dog. It was not really a Pogo at all though. That stuff on it was cake! How much sugar was in that? Corina couldn't even eat it, so it was Mommy to the rescue. I love hot dogs wrapped in cake.

Carl's Jr was kind of scary. We bought 2 burgers to split between the 3 of us, but we only ate a little more than one. Are there really people in this country who can eat those things? They were bigger than my head, and I have a very large head. A bobble head, even.

We're going to miss the fast food here. We're also going to miss all the weird people. We were chatting last night about how fun it is to people watch in Salt Lake. As Max put it, "All the people in Lethbridge are either like us, or they're drunk and lying on the ground." That makes for boring people watching, really. We went to a concert in the park last night, and the second most fun part of it was just looking at all the interesting people. We loved the dancing grandpa and the tie-dyed Jesus best of all. The most fun part was watching Corina dance. I wasn't the only one who thought she was awesome. She had quite a little following among the hippy-types. She kept whispering in my ear, "I'm making the people smile!"

Okay, we're never leaving.

15 comments:

chartie said...

Did you get the "six dollar" burgers at Sonic? I got one once, and that was the last time. I was sick afterward because it was so huge. The normal burger is perfect for me though - particularly the jalapeno burger sans tomatoes.

Sara said...

No, we got the six dollar burger at Carl's Jr. Maybe that's what you meant. Why isn't it six dollars though?

Jesse Harris said...

"Okay, we're never leaving."

Mission accomplished.

Shauna said...

That's their whole schtick. It's that you normally have to pay $6.00 (at least, really) for a burger like theirs at a normal restaurant. So the deal is that you can get the "same" $6.00 burger at Carl's Jr. for less money.

Also... I'm thrilled that you've decided not to leave on your own. I was having trouble deciding what restraint method I was going to have to use to keep you.

Didn't I tell you already that our food storage room downstairs is called "The Dungeon?"

tim and brandi said...

This is the funniest post ever. It's so interesting to see someone get so excited about American food - though I'll admit that people watching in SLC is pretty entertaining.

~b

Sara said...

I love it when Shauna and Jesse pretend they don't want us to leave. It makes us feel loved.

Sherpa said...

I love this post too. and people watching in SLC.

Kristi said...

Nothing makes a trip complete like a tie-dyed Jesus. Can't wait to see you.

Bethany said...

I'm glad you're having fun. I have certain foods in which I need to indulge when we visit Utah, because they aren't available in CA.

Don't leave! Then you'll be there when we're finally able to visit again.

Amy said...

If you're still in SLC & you want something healthier than hamburgers and burritos, try Paradise Bakery - the summer berry salad is delicious & huge. Another ice cream place to try is Nielsen's Frozen Custard mmmmm!

Lesley said...

Wait until you discover Chik-a-fil. Or Chick-Fil-'eh' as I call it. That place is the devil...but oh so good!!!

Jasmine said...

Cute post! I have to echo all of your thoughts on American fast food. You have good taste! Don't forget about the chips and salsa at Chili's, Rodizio Grill, and the kids' favorite...the scones at Chuck-a-rama! (I know, it's an old persons restaurant, but the kids always have fun there.)

Sara said...

We're a little scared to try Chuck-A-Rama. The kids are sure it's meant to make you chuck up your food.

Daisy Paige said...

I'm embarrassed to say I've only eaten at the ice cream places on your list. My sweet tooth always comes back to bite me!

(FWIW, I like Maggie Moo's ice cream better, but in my experience, Cold Stone gives you more mix-ins.)

Daisy Paige said...

Wait! That's not true! I've eaten at Cafe Rio plenty of times. I'm not *always* just about treats. Yay!