Thursday, July 03, 2008

Yellow let it mellow

A grocery store mailed me a magazine today. Weird. In the magazine was a Sunlight article. They had given eco-action awards to kids from different age groups. I really liked what the 6-7 year old age group winner, Manuel of St-Honore-de-Chicoutimi, had to say:

"To help the environment, I try not to waste paper handkerchiefs by throwing them in the garbage for no reason. I try to use them more than once. When I go to the toilet, I do not flush just for a small pee. It's better to flush only after two pees."

Ha! That is adorable.

Sunlight doing eco-action awards is kinda funny. It's almost as funny as the fact that Clorox bought Burt's Bees. How does something like that happen? Now none of the health food stores want to carry Burt's Bees anymore, and I'm not sure if it's even good to support Burt's Bees anymore, but I still will for a while...because I'm selfish.

10 comments:

Shauna said...

I don't really care WHO owns Burt's Bees... that stuff is good. I'm using it.

Laurie said...

That is SO cute!

Sometimes corporate buyouts can be a good thing, though. For example, in 200...2, I believe, Estee Lauder bought Aveda. So while the founder of Aveda, Horst Rechelbacher, was worried about the integrity of his product, it so happened that the grandson of Estee Lauder herself started Origins, and was INTENT on keeping Aveda's mission statement. And now? Aveda's Research and Development team went from 2 people to hundreds of people, and the product line as well as their environmental causes BOOMED! It's amazing what Aveda has now, and what they do for impoverished communities around the world, I'm not kidding.

I heard that from Horst himself at a conference in Minneapolis. And I even had my picture taken with him but my ex deleted it off the computer when we got divorced. Sadness.

Dainon. said...

But their chapstick makes my lips dance. I shall continue to support it. My lips demand it!

Sara said...

It makes my lips dance too, but Clorox is basically the opposite of everything that is Burt's Bees. It all confuses my little brain.

Fake Plastic Fish said...

Clorox also bought out the North American branch of Brita and now, while the water filters are recyclable in Europe, they are not in the U.S. and Canada.

I know you weren't writing a post about water filters, but while you're ranting out corporations buying more eco-friendly companies and making them less so, you might want to sign the petition at Take Back The Filter (http://www.takebackthefilter.org) which is urging Clorox to create the same kind of take-back recycling program for Brita water filters as already exists in Europe. And it would be great if you'd help us spread the word!

Thanks,
Beth

Sara said...

I did know Clorox owns Brita, which is super funny. The bleach makers are trying to help us get the bleach out of our water. Cute! I'll look at the petition.

Shannon said...

An American company bought Molson Canadian. That one left me confused as to whether the beer was still Canadian or not. I know that has nothing to do with environmental stuff, but it has to do with being confused.

Sallie said...

I found your blog while searching for thoughts on the Burt's Bees/Clorox deal. Check out the Burt's Bees blog to see how the company's sticking to it's ideals even with the new ownership: http://burtsbeesblog.blogspot.com

Sara said...

I did read that, but it still feels a little wrong. Regardless, I bought some Burt's Bees yesterday..

Kristi said...

I have to keep buying it. I'm allergic to regular toothpaste and theirs is the only one I can use. I hope THAT doesn't change.