Wednesday, October 15, 2008

No More Toilet Paper

Do you think it's gross to wear underwear all day, wash it, and then wear it again? I do. But I still do it.

Now how gross do you think this is?
Go pee (ladies) and then wipe with a cloth. Throw the cloth in the wash. Use it again.

Sounds sick, right?

But. But! Those cloths with a couple of drops of pee on them are way less...umm...contaminated than women's underwear at the end of the day. True story. And yet we manage to survive with our reused undies.

Another thing that sounds sick is putting those pee cloths in the wash with my regular laundry. GAH! Pee drops in my laundry? I might die! Oh, but wait. What about all the crotch germs already in the laundry from my undies? Ha. Right. No biggie.

Now looky what we do! You can do it too. Really. It sounds gross the first few dozen times you hear of the idea, but after a while it started making sense to me.

My pretty basket of baby facecloths on one side of the toilet, pretty can on the other side of the toilet for the used facecloths after we make a peepee.

I am saving approximately ONE BILLION DOLLARS a month using this technique, and at least as many trees. You're welcome, Earth.

If you guys want to steal my idea, you may. But if you start using cloths for your number twos, I'm gonna puke.

17 comments:

Kristi said...

AWESOME! I could use an extra billion a month. It totally never occurred to me because we don't use as much tp for pee, but let's face it, we still need it. And we're potty training over here so once a week I'm throwing urine SOAKED clothes in the wash to reuse them anyway. Which is worse? I love your idea. LOVE IT! When did you become all sensible?

Steve said...

Using cloths for #2 would be a lot like using cloth diapers for babies, no? So, it's not THAT bad, but I'm not even sure if I can do that, haha. But think how many sheep had to be sheared for your precious facecloths!!!!! haha!!!

Sara said...

I have gradually been turning sensible all year long. And really, I am saving quite a bit of money on toilet paper. (Especially since Corina and I are girls, and therefore don't make number twos.)

Shannon said...

I already have too much laundry to do and I'm the only girl in the house so I would probably be better off saving water than a few squares. That's my story...

Shauna said...

Yeah... I plan to use cloth diapers AND wipes. So I'll totally be washing and re-using poo rags.

Sara said...

But Shannon, that basket has 60 cloths in it. Even if I waited until ALL those cloths were dirty before washing them, they would probably amount to about 1/16 of a load of laundry. Or less.

Laurie said...

About the cloth diapers... When I was a baby, my parents scraped then soaked the poo off before washing. Nowadays, most cloth diapers come with a little disposable pad that you tear off and toss so you don't put poo directly into the washer.

Even with disposable diapers, I still find baby poo and puke going into our laundry, though. There's just no avoiding it.

That's why a little scoop of baking soda at the wash goes a long way... I'm just saying.

Shannon said...

But Sara, I already am changing three kids in diapers. I don't want to deal with my own pee as well. Plus I'm not sure how to only do 1/16th of a load of laundry at a time.
I have tons of excuses. Did I mention how I found the best toilet paper ever? Perhaps that's the real reason I won't give it up. Give up toilet paper, because we all know I "give it up."

Krispy said...

Oh thank goodness you don't use those cloths for #2's. That was my worst fear when I started reading this. I was imagining how stinky your bathroom would be (from Max's #2).

Sara said...

Shannon, you don't do 1/16 of a load. You add them to a load you're already doing, and you don't even notice you did anything extra. Don't make me spank you.

Jillian said...

Sadly, I'm just not that committed to the enviroment/saving money, but I am curious as to whether or not there is a monthly contingency plan for yourself.

Shannon said...

Add them to a load? Nope. I couldn't. I won't even wash my kids clothes with my own! (And I don't even own anything nice to be concerned about) Washing pee cloths with my clothes would be like washing dish cloths with my clothes. That's a big no no.
I already have OCD issues with detergent on a regular load. I'm getting anxiety just thinking about it.
Please don't hurt me.

Sara said...

Which load is your underwear in? I guarantee you, the stuff on the pee cloths is less interesting than a woman's underwear at the end of the day.

Shannon said...

I wear edible undies. Solves that problem. ;)

Krispy said...

I still have two serious questions about this issue. What do you do for:
1) your time of the month
and
2) #2's?

Sara said...

1) Toilet paper. And a Diva Cup. (Really!)
2) I don't do those, but the kids use toilet paper then too.

I didn't really mean no more toilet paper. I meant less.

Daisy Paige said...

Makes sense to me, but I also use cloth diapers on the kid.