Friday, November 07, 2008

Hemp - not just for Woody Harrelson anymore.

Meet my new shower curtain.

I've been looking for a hemp shower curtain for 6 months now, and finally last week we found one. Of course you can always buy one online, but I wanted to find one in a real store. And I even found it for $30 cheaper than the cheapest one I had found online, so....yay!

Here's why I wanted it.

You know your plastic, ugly shower liner that hides behind your pretty shower curtain? Other than being gross, those things are not good for you. The Centre for Health, Environment, and Justice says, "The study found that these shower curtains contained high concentrations of phthalates and varying concentrations of organotins and that they released as many as 108 volatile organic chemicals into the air, some of which persisted for nearly a month.”

Seven of these chemicals, which include toluene, ethylbenzene, phenol, MIBK, xylene, acetophenone, and cumene, were identified by the EPA as hazardous air pollutants.

Potential health effects included developmental damage as well as damage to the liver and central nervous, respiratory and reproductive systems.

Goodness!

My hemp shower curtain is naturally anti-fungal and anti-bacterial. It's free of pesticides and chemical fertilizers. Water does not leak through it. It will get wet during your shower, and then it will dry. No big deal. Apparently 95% of the world's ships are made of hemp, so that convinces me it's okay to get it wet. And I heard that if I lick it, I can get high.

14 comments:

Amy said...

So, is it machine washable? Where'd you get it?

Sara said...

Yep, you wash it once a month and then just hang it back up wet. I got it at Naturistas, which is right downtown. They've got them kind of hidden away, so you'll have to ask them to get one for you.

Kristi said...

I LOVE hemp! It is such an awesome fiber. I have a hemp purse that has lasted longer than any of my other ones and the clothing is UV resistant too (and comfy!). Like cork it's an unused undervalued product that is great for health and the environment.

Michelle said...

I want one!!!
I have never liked plastic shower curtains, anything that smells that bad when you take it out of the package can't be good for you.

I wonder where I can find one of those in London...... hmmmmmmm.

Jesse Harris said...

I've always been a bit wary of cloth shower curtains because I didn't want them to get soaked through and get the rest of the bathroom wet. Is that not the case with this one?

I also kind of worry that when they get wet, they might be too heavy for the shower curtain rod to hold them up.

Sara said...

Because it's hemp, it's water resistant. My shower head is totally messed up and shoots water way too the side, totally soaking the curtain. Not even a drop soaks through though. And it doesn't seem like it would be heavy enough to wreck the rod or make it fall.

Jesse Harris said...

Sounds like I need to get in on that!

And, FYI, try soaking the shower head in vinegar. That should take off the mineral build-up that causes it to shoot in funny directions.

Sara said...

I will!

Michelle said...

We have terrible water here, and I do just what Jesse said..
If you can't get the shower head off (which you might not want to anyway) you can just wrap it in paper towels or a facecloth soaked in vinegar. We have to do that about once a month, ours gets really bad!

Sara said...

I did it this afternoon, and it worked. Yay!

Anonymous said...

Yay for hemp! This looks like a great shower curtain. I love everything from pants to cookies made from hemp.

Speaking of cookies, you're one smart cookie for liking hemp. Oh and I love your blog. I'm glad I stumbled upon it from a friend's blog. I hope you don't mind random anonymous fans and comments. But who doesn't enjoy a fan? Maybe a Polar Bear. Dunno.

Anonymous said...

One more thing: The only thing better than hemp = bamboo.

Sara said...

I love random anonymous fans and comments!

Shannon said...

I have hemp boots! They're hemp or vegetarian. I can't remember which. HA!