Sunday, February 01, 2009

Cast Away Empathy

At home I watch LOST with my kids and then we discuss it all week long. At work I'm reading Robinson Crusoe with the kids, and then we talk about it all week long. In other words, being stranded on an island is huge on my mind lately, and so I've been thinking about the movie Cast Away. (Which I always thought was called Castaway, but I was always wrong.)

Last night I rented it to watch with Max and Corina. I saw it at the theatre when it came out, but not since. Did you remember that it's a really good movie? It is!

I remembered the volleyball friend named Wilson, but I had forgotten most of the details. I was cuddled up on the couch with Corina when it came to the part where Wilson gets lost at sea. My heart! That was so sad.

But mostly what I'll remember from watching the movie this time was Corina's reaction to Wilson floating away. She looked up at me with tears in her eyes and said, "Mommy...that's sad!" And then she started sobbing. Maybe not quite as hard as Tom Hanks sobs at that point, but she came close. This little girl has more empathy than all the adults I know combined. Honestly...I could learn a lot from her.



6 comments:

Shannon said...

Eerie. Tryston's class is watching that movie in class right now and we were just talking about it! Tryston, not as sensitive as Corina. He kept laughing about Tom Hanks screaming "Wilson!" after he chucked "him" out to sea.

Sara said...

That's probably what I would have done when I was a kid. Tryston is going to grow up to be just like me!

Kristy Mouti said...

I cried,too. And I was embarassed because it's a VOLLEYBALL. I really liked it, too.

Bethany said...

She is such a sweetheart.

Lesley said...

My youngest niece did that too when we watched it. Her reaction was somewhat similar to Tom Hanks though...Oh no, Wilson! Oh Wilson! and then she cried. My older niece however decided to just look at her, look at me and shake her head with an eyeroll. Clearly she and I are not as compassionate.

Shannon said...

I don't mind that Tryston is turning into you as long as he stays a male. As a mother I don't think I'd be very open to him changing genders. That just seems wrong.