Friday, July 16, 2010

My New Life!

So many things, and mostly everyone already knows it all! Shortest version is we sold almost everything we own and drove across the country to live in London again. That's where I grew up, and where my family is. Picture above: sister, me, brother, sister, sister. There are 3 more brothers, but they missed out on the photo shoot.

Car things: my car insurance tripled in Ontario. Hate. There are approximately 132 hoops through which to jump to get licensed, insured, and registered in Ontario. Today I was exchanging my Alberta license for an Ontario one. After more than 2 hours in line (!!) I handed over my license, my passport, and filled out the paperwork. Then I signed the paperwork.

"Sorry...your signature is wrong. It doesn't match the one on your passport because it's too loopy. You have to do it again."

I did it again. It was still wrong. I wish I was exaggerating, but she made me do my signature at least 20 times.

Me: But I'm the one doing my signature...it's obviously right!
Her: But maybe it's not you. Maybe you're forging.
Me: But you have two pieces of government photo ID! What's harder, forging a signature, or forging a face?
Her: But the pictures are in black and white.
Me: ...

Anyway, after the 20 or so attempts, I finally got my own signature right and she believed it was me. Because, you know, when someone takes that long to get their signature right, it's clearly them.

4 comments:

Kipluck said...

I think maybe she's right and you are only pretending to be moving to England.

The FOUR M's... said...

Hey Sara -- not student housing, but some townhouses near the university & Probe Elementary. :o)

bequi said...

This reminds me of a story I read in Reader's Digest. The guy went to pay with a credit card, signed, the receipt, and then the check-out girl said, "You didn't sign your card. The signature has to match the receipt." So he signed the card in front of her and MIRACULOUSLY, the signatures matched!

What a doofus.

Daisy Paige said...

And I thought things were more laid-back in Canada...